There’s a bit more room under the salary cap for the New Orleans Saints as they restructured defensive lineman Sheldon Rankins‘ contract.
New Orleans restructured Rankins contract to the tune of converting $6 million of his guaranteed base salary to a bonus to clear $4 million in cap space, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported Saturday morning.
NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo added two years were added to the deal that automatically void, so Rankins is still slated to be a free agent after this season.
Rankins’ restructured deal came ahead of the Saints signing running back Alvin Kamara to a five-year, $75 million extension on Saturday.
In other roster news, the Saints elevated wide receiver Bennie Fowler III and defensive end Margus Hunt from the practice squad to the active roster.
Here’s other news Around The NFL is monitoring on Saturday:
- The New York Giants might be without one of their top wide receivers on Monday night against the Steelers, as veteran wide receiver Golden Tate (hamstring) is questionable, per the team’s final injury report on Saturday. Tate is one of three Giants questionable for the game, all of them with hamstring ailments. Linebacker Tae Crowder and tight end Levine Toilolo are also questionable. Big Blue pass rusher Markus Golden (illness) and defensive back Adrian Colbert (illness) were each full participants on Saturday in practice and received no injury designation.
- San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel (foot) has been placed on injured reserve. The second-year wideout was already ruled out for Week 1 on Friday, but his return will now have to wait until at least Week 4. Back in June, Samuel had surgery for a Jones fracture in his foot.
- The New England Patriots have elevated kicker Nick Folk from their practice squad to the active roster, making him the starter for Week 1, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports. Both Folk and rookie Justin Rohrwasserwere both placed on the practice squad when the Patriots announced their initial 53-man roster. The Patriots also elevated defensive lineman Xavier Williams from the practice squad, placed wide receiver Gunner Olszewski on injured reserve and signed offensive lineman Caleb Benenoch to the practice squad.
- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not practice on Saturday ahead of Monday’s opener versus the Giants, but it was listed as a coach’s decision and Roethlisberger does not have an injury designation for the game. Roethlisberger is due to make his first start since Week 2 of last year when he suffered a season-ending elbow injury. Guard Dave DeCastro (knee) is out for Monday, while receiver Diontae Johnson (foot) was a full participant on Saturday and also has no injury designation.
- Without an abundance of healthy cornerbacks, the Cleveland Browns announced Saturday that they have elevated CB Robert Jackson from the practice squad to the active roster.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans (hamstring) has been upgraded from doubtful to questionable for Sunday’s game against the Saints.The Bucs also announced they elevated wide receiver Cyril Grayson and cornerback Mazzi Wilkins from the practice squad to the active roster for Sunday’s game at New Orleans.
- Philadelphia Eagles running back Miles Sanders (hamstring) has been officially ruled out for Sunday’s opener in Washington. Defensive end Derek Barnett (hamstring), who was also listed as questionable yesterday, is also ruled out. The team also elevated defensive tackle T.Y. McGill and guard Sua Opeta from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars announced Saturday that they made the following football operations changes: the promotion of Scott Trulock to director of player health and performance, Chris Driggers to director of pro scouting and DeJuan Polk to director of pro personnel.
- The Seattle Seahawks added offensive tackle Jamarco Jones to the injury report. He is questionable with an illness. Meanwhile ,the team activated tackle Chad Wheeler from the practice squad.
- Denver Broncos wide receiver Courtland Sutton suffered an AC joint sprain at practice on Thursday and his playing status for Monday against the Titans is unknown. However, on Saturday, Broncos coach Vic Fangio said if Sutton can do 10 jumping jacks before the game, he will play. “The most primitive test there is,” Fangio said, per NFL Network’s James Palmer. Sutton was officially listed as questionable on the injury report along with fellow wide receiver K.J. Hamler. Linebacker Mark Barron (knee) has been ruled out along with pass rusher Von Miller (ankle), who’s been placed on injured reserve.
- Tennessee Titans linebacker Vic Beasley (knee), cornerback Adoree Jackson (knee) and rookie running back Darrynton Evans (hamstring) have been officially ruled out for Monday night’s road tilt in Denver. Wide receiver Corey Davis (hamstring) is listed as questionable but managed to practice in full the last two days.
- The Chicago Bears have activated kicker Cairo Santos from the practice squad after placing Eddy Pineiro (groin) on injured reserve earlier this week.
- The Cincinnati Bengals announced Saturday that they elevated defensive end Amani Bledsoe and safety Trayvon Henderson from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Detroit Lions elevated running back Jonathan Williams and guard Kenny Wiggins from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Buffalo Bills announced they have placed cornerback Josh Norman (hamstring) on injured reserve. The former All-Pro will have to wait until Week 4 to make his Bills debut. In a corresponding move, the Bills elevated cornerback Cam Lewis and defensive tackle Justin Zimmer from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Green Bay Packers have signed linebacker Kris Barnes from the practice squad to the 53-man roster while also elevating linebacker Tipa Galeai and tight end John Lovett from the practice squad.
- The Minnesota Vikings signed running back Dalvin Cook to a five-year, $63 million extension on Saturday. The teams also signed cornerback Nate Meadors to the 53-man roster while linebacker Hardy Nickerson was been elevated from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The New York Jets have signed quarterback Mike White, who spent a majority of last year on the team’s practice squad. The team also announced they have activated running back Josh Adams and wide receiver Josh Malone to the active roster.
- The Los Angeles Chargers announced they have elevated guard Ryan Groy and fullback Gabe Nabers from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Arizona Cardinals announced they have elevated running back D.J. Foster from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Washington Football Team announced they have elevated wide receiver Cam Sims from the practice squad to the active roster,
- The Los Angeles Rams signed wide receiver Cooper Kupp to a three-year extension worth up to $48 million on Saturday.