Joe Mixon isn’t ready to return yet.
The Bengals’ bell-cow back has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against Washington, his fourth straight on the sidelines because of a nagging foot injury. The move was expected after Mixon missed another week of practice.
His whole season has gotten of on the wrong foot. Just prior to signing a four-year, $48 million extension in September, the fourth-year back missed time in training camp because of migraines. He then opened the season with three consecutive subpar performances before breaking out in Week 4 with a 151 rushing yards and two touchdowns in a win over Jacksonville.
Mixon followed that up with two more quiet games, hurting his foot in the latter. The Week 6 loss to the Colts was the last time he’s played for the 2-6-1 Bengals. In six games, Mixon has averaged just 3.6 yards per carry and a career-low 4.0 yards per touch. Resting until Mixon is fully recovered is probably for the best.
The Bengals later announced that three assistants, wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell, secondary/cornerbacks coach Steve Jackson and secondary/safeties coach Robert Livingston, will not attend the team’s Week 11 contest because of COVID-19-related reasons. Cincinnati also placed practice squad wideout Stanley Morgan on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
Here’s other injuries and roster news we’re tracking on Friday:
- Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur said wide receiver Davante Adams, who didn’t practice Thursday and was limited Wednesday with an ankle injury, “should be good to go” for Sunday against the Colts. Adams, wide receiver Allen Lazard (core) and cornerbacks Kevin King (quad) and Jaire Alexander (concussion) all practiced Friday. Lazard is listed as questionable.
- The San Francisco 49ers announced they waived defensive end Takkarist McKinley after he failed his physical. The team also placed wideout Brandon Aiyuk, tight end Daniel Helm and tackle Trent Williams on the reserve/COVID-19 list, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported.
- Detroit Lions running backs coach Kyle Caskey told reporters D’Andre Swift, who missed practice Thursday with a concussion, will not play Sunday against the Panthers. The rookie had emerged as Detroit’s feature back in recent weeks. He was officially ruled out later. Quarterback Matthew Stafford (right thumb) is listed as questionable, while wide receivers Kenny Golladay (hip) and Danny Amendola (hip) were also ruled out.
- The Indianapolis Colts placed defensive lineman Denico Autry on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Tight end Jack Doyle (concussion) is questionable for Sunday against the Packers.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back T.J. Logan was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. (hamstring) has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Steelers, while quarterback Gardner Minshew (thumb) is questionable.
- Free-agent defensive tackle Domata Peko Sr. has agreed to terms with the Arizona Cardinals and is expected to sign with the team once he completes COVID-19 protocols on Monday, per his agency. The 15th-year veteran last played with the Ravens in 2019.
- The Chicago Bears activated offensive lineman Lachavious Simmons from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The New York Jets have signed offensive lineman Conor McDermott to a one-year contract extension, the team announced.
- Dallas Cowboys defensive ends Randy Gregory (illness) and Demarcus Lawrence (illness) are questionable vs. the Vikings.
- Denver Broncos quarterback Drew Lock (ribs) is questionable against the Dolphins. Defensive lineman Jurrell Casey was removed off the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Miami Dolphins linebacker Kyle Van Noy (hip) is questionable vs. the Broncos.
- Kansas City Chiefs wideout Sammy Watkins is listed as questionable against the Raiders. Right tackle Mitchell Schwartz is out.
- Tennessee Titans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney (knee) will be out this Sunday vs. the Ravens. The Titans are expected to sign quarterback DeShone Kizer to their practice squad, Pelissero reported, per a source. Kizer most recently spent time with the Raiders in 2019 and 2020; he was cut from Las Vegas’ practice squad in September.
- The New Orleans Saints placed quarterback Drew Brees on injured reserve. Cornerback Marshon Lattimore (abdomen) is listed at questionable vs. the Falcons. The Saints signed QB Trevor Siemianto the active roster in Brees’ spot, per Pelissero. Siemian has spent this season on the Titans’ practice squad.
- The Philadelphia Eagles made two additions to their 53-man roster, activating guard Isaac Seumalo from injured reserve and safety Marcus Epps from the exempt/COVID-19 list.
- Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley (foot), limited in practice all week, does not have a game designation for Sunday versus the Saints.
- Carolina Panthers quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (knee) is questionable for Sunday’s game against the Lions. Cornerback Donte Jackson (toe), and offensive tackle Russell Okung (calf) are doubtful.
- New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore (knee) and offensive tackle Isaiah Wynn (ankle) are questionable for Sunday’s game against the Texans.
- Houston Texans safety Michael Thomas (shoulder) has been ruled out for Sunday versus the Patriots, while wide receiver Kenny Stills (back) and offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil (illness) are questionable.
- Baltimore Ravens defensive tackles Calais Campbell (calf) and Brandon Williams (ankle) are doubtful to play Sunday versus the Titans. Cornerback Jimmy Smith (ankle) is questionable. Quarterback Trace McSorley was placed on the reserve/COVID list.
- Las Vegas Raiders defensive back Lamarcus Joyner was activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The New York Giants placed offensive tackle Matt Peart, wide receiver Dante Pettis and tight end Kaden Smith on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Tyrod Taylor (ribs), who’s been out since Week 2, is listed as questionable for Sunday against the Jets. Coach Anthony Lynn didn’t rule out cornerback Chris Harris (foot), but noted he didn’t want him coming back too soon. Harris, sidelined since Week 3, would have to be added to the active roster by Saturday.