Dozens of tennis players forced into COVID quarantine at Australian Open – New York Post

Forty-seven tennis players have been forced into quarantine at the Australian Open in Melbourne after three cases of the coronavirus were reported on two flights carrying players to the tournament, event organizers said Saturday.

Players who arrived from Los Angeles entered hotel quarantine after a member of the aircrew and an Australian Open participant — not a player — tested positive for the virus, according to a Reuters report. Another passenger on a flight from Abu Dhabi also tested positive.

Players are not allowed to leave their hotel quarantine for 14 days, organizers said.

Australia is hosting 1,200 players for the sporting event that begins next month.

Scottish player Andy Murray tested positive for COVID-19 last week but said he was in good health and still planned to compete. US player Madison Keys has pulled out of the competition after testing positive for the coronavirus.

Andy Murray tested positive for COVID-19 but still plans to compete at the Australian Open.
Andy Murray tested positive for COVID-19 but still plans to compete at the Australian Open.
Charles Platiau/Reuters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *