NORMAN – The Oklahoma women’s tennis team is set for two matches this weekend, welcoming No. 29 Texas Tech on Friday at 10 a.m. CT and heading to Tulsa on Saturday for a 3 p.m. contest.
Friday’s match with the Lady Raiders will be broadcast on Fox Sports Oklahoma with Chad McKee and Mark Johnson on the call.
Five Things to Know
• No. 33 OU (5-2) is home Friday morning to host No. 29 Texas Tech in a non-conference clash before heading to Tulsa on Saturday for a 3 p.m. meeting. Texas Tech leads the all-time series between the teams 20-15. The teams last met on March 8, 2020 in Norman, where OU prevailed 4-3 with current Sooner Marcelina Podlinska clinching the match on court five in a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 thriller. OU last met Tulsa on Jan. 22 in Norman with the Sooners winning 6-1.
• The Sooners will look to keep their winning streak alive after downing Kansas 6-1 on Feb. 21, followed by a 6-1 win over SMU on Feb. 27, both at home, in its last two matches. OU is 5-1 at home this season with the lone loss coming in a 4-3 decision to Texas on Jan. 30.
• OU has given up just two doubles points in its seven matches this season and has only dropped one at home (against SMU on Feb. 27). The Sooners are led by the sister duo of Carmen and Ivana Corley at the top spot in doubles. The Corleys are 6-1 in dual matches, 10-1 on the year and 26-2 since Carmen joined the Sooners’ roster last January.
• Five players have started the season with winning records in singles and four of those have accrued six wins. Kianah Motosono is 6-0 on the season and has won her last seven matches consecutively dating back to fall tournament play. Ivana Corley, Dana Guzman and Marcelina Podlinska are all 6-1 on the year.
• Carmen Corley has been named Big 12 Player of the Week twice this season, most recently for Feb. 23 following OU’s win over Kansas. After trailing 5-0 in the second set, Corley rallied to defeat No. 81 Sonia Smagina in a tiebreaker, which she won 7-6 (6). The victory was good for Corley’s second over a ranked opponent this season.
Friday’s match with Texas Tech is set for a 10 a.m. start on Fox Sports Oklahoma. Live stats will be available.
Saturday’s match at Tulsa will begin at 3 p.m. and live stats and video will be available.
OU Athletics has announced that fans will not be admitted for 2021 matches at the Headington Family Tennis Center due to limited seating capacity related to COVID-19 precautions. Home and visitor student-athletes will receive a limited number of complimentary tickets on a pass-list basis.