Game Recap: Football | 3/13/2021 4:22:00 PM | By Matt Schabert, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations
MOREHEAD, Ky. –
– Trailing 31-3 at new PFL foe Presbyterian Saturday, the Morehead State football team kicked in a different gear. But a second-half rally came up short as the Eagles fell 31-16 to the Blue Hose at Bailey Memorial Stadium in both team’s conference opener.
The Eagles got behind 24-3 at the half, but a pair of touchdown connections by junior quarterback Mark Pappas gave the visitors some life. A 50-yard strike to senior transfer receiver BJ Byrd and a 15-yard scoring toss to sophomore slot man Matt Guilfoil, his first career touchdown, accounted for the Eagles’ second-half points.
The defensive effort was highlighted by senior back Vincent Winey, who came up with 10 tackles and made 2.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also forced a fumble. MSU also picked off Blue Hose QB Tyler Huff twice, once by junior defensive back Khiyree Keith and once by junior cornerback Brandon Barbee.
Huff ended with a pair of second-quarter TD tosses, including a 65-yard strike to make it 24-3.
– Pappas threw for 245 yards on 20-for-45 with one interception
– Byrd finished with 148 yards in the passing game, the most receiving yards since Christian Robinson had 149 in a last-second win over Dayton in 2015.
– After having negative-six yards rushing against James Madison, the Eagles rushed for 63 today. Senior running back Issiah Aguero led the way with 46 yards on 11 totes.
– Eight receivers caught passes, marking the 19th straight game MSU had at least six different players catch at least one pass.
– The defense came up with 11 tackles for loss. Newcomers Devon Connors (2.0) and Davier Fairrow (1.5) had solid games getting into the Presbyterian backfield. Last year’s PFL tackle-for-loss leader Vaughn Taylor, Jr., picked up where he left off, recording 1.5 TFLs.
– Kenneth Shaffner and Kameron Frye also recorded their first career TFLs.
– Total offense ended up being nearly the same. The Blue Hose edged out the Eagles 376-311.
– Senior punter Andrew Foster, who led the PFL in punting average in 2019, booted six balls for a 43.3-yard average today.
Morehead State returns home for its first game at Jayne Stadium since Nov. 23, 2019 when the Eagles ended the year versus Stetson. The Eagles host the Hatters Saturday at Noon ET.