ZIONSVILLE, Ind. – IUPUI men’s tennis rebounded from two-straight losses with a 6-1 win over Chicago State on Saturday (March 13).
IUPIU cruised to the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles match. Sean Bailey and Ethan Mardanus-Budiono teamed for IUPUI’s first doubles win with a 6-4 win at No. 2. The Jags clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win at No. 1 by Alex Jochim and Colton Morehart.
Bailey earned IUPUI’s first singles point, winning 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 3 singles spot. Mardanus-Budiono then put IUPUI one point away from the win with a 7-5, 6-2 win at No. 2. Chicago State earned a point with a three-set win at No. 6. IUPUI closed out the match as Emil Jankowski earned a 7-6 (5), 6-4 win at No. 5.
The other two matches that went IUPUI’s way were both three set wins for the Jaguars. Jochim came back from losing his first set 5-7 to win 6-4, 7-5 in the last two sets. Morehart earned a 7-5 win in set one before losing set two 5-7. Morehart earned a 6-3 win in the last set for the final margin.
IUPUI will play one more non-conference match before beginning Horizon League play as IUPUI will play Butler on Sunday, March 21.
IUPUI 6, Chicago State University 1
1. Alex Jochim (IUPUI) def. Suler, Jakov (CSU) 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
2. Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) def. Sanchez, Javier (CSU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Sean Bailey (IUPUI) def. Perez, Jesus (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Colton Morehart (IUPUI) def. Zamorski, Jakub (CSU) 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
5. Emil Jankowski (IUPUI) def. Kolaric, Pedja (CSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
6. Alverez, Pedro (CSU) def. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
1. Alex Jochim/Colton Morehart (IUPUI) def. Suler, Jakov/Perez, Jesus (CSU) 6-3
2. Sean Bailey/Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) def. Kolaric, Pedja/Zamorski, Jakub (CSU) 6-4
3. Blessing Benibo/Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI) vs. Sanchez, Javier/Alverez, Pedro (CSU) 4-5, unfinished
Chicago State University 2-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,2,6,5,1,4)